It’s no longer enough just to be a good supplier. We must strive to become great suppliers, and this doesn’t just mean being great at what we already do for our customers.
Something that I’ve noticed over many years of working with incumbent suppliers in many different industries is that the most successful ones share a very clear and focused pattern of behaviour that helps them retain existing their contracts, while others are setting themselves up to lose. The most successful suppliers are those that I call the ‘clear winners’.
For me, the term clear winner describes the mindset of the business development leader as well as the course of action that the organisation follows to win and retain business.
Here are five ways that business development leaders demonstrate the mindset of a clear winner.
- Clear winners love what they do and speak eloquently about their business and its opportunities.
- Clear winners have great ideas with the potential to deliver genuine value for their customers. They focus on serving their customers first and themselves second.
- Clear winners are truly excited about the opportunity to work with customers. They see this as a privilege and not just a ‘numbers game’.
- Clear winners believe that there is always a better way of doing things, even when there are already great at what they do.
- Clear winners have a lot on (like everyone else) but always seem to manage to focus on just the right thing. You’ll never hear them complain about being ‘busy’ – instead, they are energised by the work they’re doing.
Clear winners may seem lucky – like they are 'on a roll' – but they know the real story; to achieve at this level takes courage, investment and hard work.
|This is an extract from Robyn’s new book Winning Again: a retention game plan for your most important contracts and customers. To order your copy, go to http://www.winningwords.com.au/winning-again/|